Main Crop Desiree 2 Kg Nets691744
Popular red skinned, high yielding, late Main Crop Seed Potatoes, ideal for a creamy mash.
Before planting, encourage Seed Potatoes to sprout by placing them on a cool, bright windowsill for 4-6 weeks. This process is known as ‘chitting’ and will help prepare the potato tuber for going in the ground.
Once planted, ‘earth up’ the potatoes by drawing the soil up around new shoots to protect them from frost damage and prolong the growing time. Earthing up also protects developing potatoes from sunlight which causes them to turn green and poisonous. Keep potatoes well watered during warm weather.
Main Crop Seed Potatoes require a much longer growing time in the ground and would benefit from an added fertiliser during the Summer months.
How to Harvest
Planted main crop potatoes will be ready to harvest in September and October or approximately 16-22 weeks after they were planted. To harvest, cut back haulms (plant stalks) to ground level before gently lifting the plant up with a garden fork.
Carefully remove the potatoes from the plant and wash well before use in the kitchen.
- Pack size: Taster pack of 10, 2kg
- Recipient of the Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit
- When to plant: April
- When to harvest: September, October
- Planting depth: 10-15cm/4-6″
- Bulb spacing: 20-30cm/8-12″
- Soil type: Moist but well-drained
- Soil pH: Acid, Alkaline, Neutral
- Sunlight: Full sun, Partial shade
- Hardiness: Tolerant of low temperatures but will not survive being froze